The Benefits and Payroll Specialist is an exempt position and will play an active role in administration, auditing and handling items connected to payroll and benefits including but not limited to employee benefits, ACA, bi-weekly payroll, timesheets, paycheck calculations, 401-k, COBRA, etc. The role will also regularly interact with external resources such as benefits carriers and benefits broker as well as other members of the HR team, Finance team, and company employees and managers. Therefore, a high level of customer service, professionalism, and team work is required of this role.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
• Audit benefits-related invoices.
• Administer accrual policies and audit accrual calculations.
• Calculate recurring manual payroll adjustments and full cycle payroll processing.
• Assist with bi-weekly timecard/payroll review, including manual check calculations.
• Set up benefits plans in HRIS annually, including plan structures, contribution amounts, and carrier connections.
• Work with vendors to escalate questions and/or issue and monitor vendor performance.
• Continually assess the company’s benefit plans and processes, ensuring the organization is current with all regulatory compliance requirements including state and federal leave of absence programs.
• Support vendor and broker relationships
• Ensure all benefit-related communications are developed and delivered to ensure accurate, timely, and effective messaging.
• Administer COBRA.
• Drive continuous improvement efforts to ensure consistently high customer service and efficiency in administration of company benefits programs.
• Serve as backup to Payroll Manager and Benefits Administrator.
Skills and Requirements:
• Minimum 5 years of experience in administration of benefits plans.
• Minimum 5 years of experience administering payroll.
• Associate Degree required,Bachelors Preferred with CEBS and Payroll Systems Certifications highly desirable.
• Strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational skills, and initiative.
• Strong analytical and technical skills.
• Advanced skills in Excel and aptitude to learn new applications quickly.
• Ability to maintain confidential information with discretion.
• Overall strong computer skills and excellent verbal and written skills.
• Experience with HRIS a major plus.
• Excellent communication and organization skills are required.
• Must be able to interact cordially and productively with a variety of people.
• Must be able to read, write and communicate clearly in English.
• Must be able to work occasionally long or extended hour, including weekends.
• Must be able to function in a hectic environment with occasional periods of high stress.
• Project and team management/leadership skills and experience. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates. Capability of effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
• Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs. Ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on proposals.
• Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Netchex are required.
• Knowledge of benefit contract language.
• Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, SECTION 125, Medicare, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
• Coordinate benefit setup, deduction and compliance reporting issues with Human Resources, and Payroll staff.
• Work as a team with Human Resources, Payroll, Accounting, Brokers on benefits issues.
• Outside contacts include insurance companies, network providers, drug companies, third party administrators, other benefits vendors and outside consultants.