BATON ROUGE, LA, January 3, 2017—Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Louisiana (Goodwill), in partnership with Employ BR Youth Services Division, has opened enrollment for its Out of School Youth program, which will provide free HiSET and job skills training to 40 eligible, out of school youth in East Baton Rouge Parish. The program is part of a two-year, Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) grant funded by the City of Baton Rouge/Parish of East Baton Rouge.
The overall goal of the program is to provide eligible young adults with the opportunity to secure a better future for themselves through job training, work experience, and support services. The program also offers job training opportunities in fields such as broadband technology, hospitality, HVAC, office/clerical, advanced manufacturing and more.
Individuals who may qualify for the program should not be attending school, be between the ages of 16 and 24, an East Baton Rouge Resident and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- School dropout
- Out of School at the time of enrollment and subsequently placed in an alternate school or any school
- Within the age of compulsory school attendance, but has not attended school for at least the most recent completed school year/calendar quarter.
- A recipient of a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent who is a low-income individual and is either basic skills deficient or an English language learner
- An individual subject to either the juvenile or adult justice system
- Homeless, runaway, or an individual in foster care or who has aged out of foster care, eligible for assistance under Section 477 of the Social Security Act, or an individual who is an out-of-home placement
- Pregnant or parenting
- An individual with a disability
- A low-income individual who requires assistance to complete an educational program or to secure or hold employment
Interested parties should contact Program Director Dr. Shelia Lewis at (225) 308-0220. Registration and job training will occur at the Goodwill Industries Career Center, located at 647 Main Street, Baton Rouge, LA 70801. Participants who may have difficulty with transportation to the program may be eligible for transportation assistance. Space is limited.
For more information about Goodwill’s workforce development programs and services, visit Goodwill online at www.goodwillno.org.
About Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Louisiana
Goodwill is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization dedicated to offering opportunities to people with disabilities and other employment disadvantages to improve their economic self-sufficiency through training, education, support services and employment. In 2015, 2,049 people received Goodwill’s employment and training services and 231 were placed into jobs. Goodwill operates more than 30 janitorial and grounds maintenance contracts and 20 retail stores in 14 cities—including Baton Rouge, Covington, Denham Springs, Gonzales, Hammond, Houma, Kenner, Mandeville, Metairie, New Orleans, River Ridge, Slidell, Walker and Zachary. These enterprises support Goodwill’s mission services in the community that help put people to work and onto a path of economic self-sufficiency.
Sabrina Written, Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Louisiana
Direct Line: 504-456-3926