|Job Information || |
To be responsible for the daily transportation of used goods, new goods, contract supplies and waste.
- To drive a 24′ van body, standard transmission truck in a safe and efficient manner, complying with all state, federal and local driving laws.
- To follow a daily dispatched schedule and give directions to truck helpers and/or trainees.
- To collect and transport donated goods from private homes, businesses, or other areas to designated processing sites.
- To transport salvage material, contract supplies and waste, as directed.
- To inspect and service truck daily for proper operation. To inform the transportation director of necessary repairs and safety hazards.
- To monitor and order truck supplies through the dispatcher.
- To move merchandise throughout the stores, sales floors and warehouse.
- To render polite, responsive and courteous service to donors and to issue receipts.
- To compare donation receipts to truck load for accuracy of merchandise.
- To operate the truck radio and communicate with the dispatcher regularly.
- To pick up and distribute interoffice mail and supplies from the plant to the proper location and vice versa, when requested.
- To maintain a clean and hazard free truck. To comply with all safety procedures.
- To follow company policies and safety procedures.
- To attend regularly, as scheduled.
Tractor –Trailer drivers must also:
- Maintain a current CDL.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to interact cordially and productively with a variety of people.
- Must be able to market Goodwill and explain the mission to the general public.
- Must have extensive knowledge of the service area and road systems.
- Must be able to read and follow a street map.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule on short notice, including days, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to lift and carry objects up to 50s frequently and 100s occasionally.
- Must be able to engage in prolonged sitting in a moving vehicle.
- Must be able to engage in prolonged standing, walking and in frequent bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Must have vision corrected to within normal limits.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate clearly in English. .
- Must be able to function in a hectic work environment with occasional periods of high stress.
High School diploma or GED preferred, but not required. One year prior driving or transportation experience or training; must possess valid state driver’s license and must be insurable through the Company’s insurance carrier. Must pass drug screen and DOT physical, as required.
Extreme physical exertion, exposure to inclement weather; exposure to truck fumes and noise; exposure to unfit donated materials.
- Works in warehouse, as necessary.
- Assists in bailing, as needed.
- Other work related duties, as assigned.